What Are The Main Benefits Of Using A Garbage Disposal? Pros And Cons Of Having One.
Do you have a garbage disposal in your kitchen? If not, you should consider having one installed in your home. In the United States, almost every home has a disposal device installed in their kitchen.
There are numerous benefits to owning a unit that will dispose of food waste from being the ultimate convenience to helping the environment.
Consider this, without a garbage disposal, where is your food waste going? Composting is a great option but, most of us don't have the time or we live in a populated area where we simply cannot have a composter. Besides these two choices, there is only one other option. It is sending your extra waste to the landfill. Not a good choice.
Honestly, the best option for disposing of your food waste is to install a waste grinder underneath your kitchen sink.
Let's not waste any more time and take a look at the many benefits. Hopefully, this will persuade you to make the best choice which is getting a disposal unit of your own.
Top Benefits Of Using A Garbage Grinder
Are you considering getting a garbage disposal? If so, congratulations, the benefits of using a disposal in your home will blow your mind. It is easy to use, easy to maintain, and the advantages go deeper than you would have ever imagined.
1. A Better Environment
It is true, we have to take care of our environment. We know this, our kids are taught this in school. Now, it's time to do our part and your garbage disposal will actually assist you in creating a greener environment.
This is a great way to reduce the amount of waste from your home. It is a fact that over 20% of environmental waste is composed of food scraps.
When you put your leftover food scraps in the waste grinder instead of in your trash can, the excess waste gets rerouted becoming renewable energy instead of helping create a new landfill.
On top of that, when the excess food scraps are in the landfill, they are releasing harmful greenhouse gasses into the environment. Let's break it down.
- The harmful greenhouse gas is called Methane. A very potent gas, extremely harmful to the environment. If you decrease the amount of waste creating Methane, then simply, you reduce the amount of Methane.
- Plastic bags are harmful to the environment. Less waste means you won't have to use as many garbage bags since you won't have as much garbage. Another bonus, it saves money not having to buy as many garbage bags.
- Waste management trucks or garbage trucks carry your waste to the landfill. Methane and other toxic greenhouse gasses come from the waste in these trucks. Once again, if you don't have as much waste, the amount of harmful gasses that are emitted into the air will decrease.
- 25% of landfill waste is food scraps, which turn into harmful methane gasses, you will decrease this. Every little bit helps.
- Help end global warming. Well, you won't stop it, but those methane gasses trap heat in the earth's atmosphere. Doing your part in preventing methane gasses helps the cause.
Doesn't it feel great knowing that you are now doing your part in helping to create a greener environment? Especially, knowing it is benefiting not only you but people around you, and the world we live in. All of this is done by something as little as using a garbage disposal. Wow!
2. A Cleaner And Healthier Home
You want your home to be a clean and healthy place for your family. Even though your home looks clean doesn’t mean that it is bacteria free. When you throw away leftover food from meals into a bag, germs and bacteria are created.
Think about it like this, if you have a banana peel and toss it outside. It starts to disintegrate and decompose. Ants and flies attract to it and feed off it. It’s pretty disgusting. You wouldn’t pick it up or let your children touch it, would you? No, of course not.
Ok, so back to your kitchen. Instead, you throw your banana peel into your kitchen trash can instead of outside. The banana peel still decomposes and starts to disintegrate. From, this bacteria and germs come, not by choice, it just happens.
Depending, on how long your garbage stays in the kitchen, it may attract bugs. Flies for example. That doesn’t sound too clean or like good hygiene.
Now, if you have a garbage disposal, you simply toss the banana peel down the drain, run some water, and it’s done with. No flies, no bugs, no germs or bacteria lingering around. Granted, you must keep your disposal clean but, proper care is rather easy. It’s a much better way than throwing leftover food in a garbage bag.
3. Reduces Plumbing Problems
Believe it or not, having a garbage disposal can actually help reduce problems with your plumbing systems. Not all people are a handyman and can maintain their plumbing system by their self. Meaning that when you have a problem with your sink, dishwasher, drains, pipes, and so on.
It's time to call a professional plumber which costs money. Money that most of us don't have sitting around.
Plumbers are expensive but, the job needs to be done. Wouldn't you rather prevent future plumbing problems? You can do this by getting a unit installed under your kitchen sink.
- It will grind the food scraps into very fine particles. Rather than pieces of food that get flushed down the drain building up and clogging the pipes. We have all had a backed up drain before. We might have been able to fix it on our own but, there will come a time when you can't fix it and a plumber must be called. A garbage disposal in place will prevent all of this from happening.
- Have you ever noticed your kitchen sink acting up? By that, I mean the water is going down slower than usual. You have a clogged drain that you leave unattended and it seems to fix itself over time. Sorry to say, it's not fixing itself. Leaving it attended will ultimately lead to your pipe suddenly bursting one day.
- It assists in relieving pressure on the drainage pipe. Therefore, you reduce your chances of clogging your drain and pipes. It also reduces the possibility of your pipes leaking. As well as reducing the pressure on your drainage pipes because it is grinding up those particles so small that they aren't clinging to the inside of the pipes and causing build up.
As you can see, using this waste device not only helps you by lessening the amount of trash you have. It will save you money in the long run by not only reducing but preventing problems that will require you to call a professional plumber to fix.
4. Overall Convenience
Let's not forget one major advantage of installing a disposer under your kitchen sink. It is convenient for you!
In this day and age, we all have busy lives. Most people work all day, have family obligations that need tending to, have to clean and maintain their home, and much much more. Meals need to be quick, easy, and convenient. The meal clean up also needs to be quick, easy, and convenient.
This simple disposal device is becoming an essential tool in modern kitchens. It will take care of the mess in the kitchen sink by simply running the tap water for a few seconds and turning the electronic waste disposer on and off again. Simple, easy, convenient.
Besides being easy to use, it makes our lives a whole lot easier and hassle free. Although, you still must keep it clean as you would any other kitchen appliance. If it gets clogged, clean out the motor and it will work perfectly once again.
5. Saves Money
Ultimately, installing a garbage disposal will save you money. If you don't already have one, you will have to pay to get it installed. You can purchase one and install it by yourself.
Think about it this way, if you save more money than what the product originally cost than it was well worth it. Trust me, you will get your money's worth plus a whole lot more.
Yes, you will use more water by running your tap to wash the food down the drain into the disposal unit. It is important to know that installing it will only increase your water bill by approximately 1%. Your electric bill will increase by less than one dollar per month, only $1.
Even though, it will barely increase your water and electric bills. That little bit of money will be made back when you save money in other areas due to all of these benefits.
All the ways you will be saving money with garbage disposal usage:
- You will have prevented future complex plumbing problems. Thus saving you money on a professional plumber and such items as new pipes or other equipment.
- If your install a top of the line waste disposal product that has an energy efficient motor, it will originally cost more. Yet, every month you will actually save money on your utility bills. It decreases the amount of money your water and electric are normally.
- No more clogged kitchen sink, hence saving you money on liquids designed to unclog the drain yourself.
- Your typical garbage load will lessen. No more food scraps in the garbage hence no longer the need for so many garbage bags. Saving you money every month when buying trash bags.
- If the area you live in allows you to burn paper and other materials. On top of that, you recycle other trash items. You could very well cut out needing trash disposal at all. No more paying the local waste management company to come pick up your trash when you have none.
- Not only will you not have to pay the waste management company, money is taken out of taxes to pay for transportation fees hauling the trash.
6. Other Benefits
There are some benefits of having a garbage disposal that simply will not require any further explanation.
- Less trash.
- Not having to take trash outside to the trash can as frequently.
- The food that is ground up is made into useful energy.
- Garbage disposals require very little maintenance.
Tips on Buying The Best Garbage Disposal For Your Home
Consider this, when purchasing a waste disposal for your home, you want the best. The better the product is, the better the benefits will be and more of them.
You can check our best garbage disposal reviews on our website for more detailed information.
For example, if you purchase a high-quality disposal with an energy efficient motor, you will save money on your utility bills. If you purchase the cheapest one possible you will spend a little more each month when paying your water and electric bills, even if it is barely anything.
- Remember, better quality equals more benefits.
- Try to get a garbage disposal with a warranty. Actually, the best warranty you can find. Appliances do tend to break down, that's a fact. If you have a warranty, it could save you money on parts or even having to buy a new product.
- If you are installing a garbage disposal in a place you rent or plan on leaving soon, do not buy the best disposal possible. Unless, you plan on taking it with you when you leave. Also, landlords will typically pay to upgrade features in their rental properties.
- You will no longer have any strange smells in your kitchen from old food scraps rotting away in the kitchen garbage.
Now that you understand the numerous benefits and advantages of using a garbage disposal, you probably have you mind made up. If you don't already have one in your home, you need to get one immediately.
Not only will installing one in your home make your life easier, it will save you money, and guarantee you are living in a healthier, cleaner home. Not to mention, you will be helping to create a greener environment for future generations.
They are easy to install and easy to use. Now, all that is left to do is to get the best garbage disposal for you. What are you waiting for?